As this is the month to be thankful, I want to start by saying I’m thankful that my parents are great cooks and always have room for me at their dining table. This weekend I went to visit my family and saw on the dinner schedule that we were having my dad’s famous Jamaican Soup (in case you didn’t know, I’m Jamaican, as well as a tonnnnn of other things). This soup has always been a staple for us. It’s spicy, hearty, delicious and the list goes on.
This time my dad made a few modifications to make it healthier. My parents have done a great job at eating clean and getting in shape. I love that my family an I have been taking recipes we know and love, and turning them into new creations that taste just as good. This soup used to include fried dough, which we called dumplings (omg they are amazing) but this was wayyyy to carbolicious. So, what my dad did was keep the chicken, spice and flavor in the soup, but added more scrumptious vegetables for those complex carbs we all need and love. Complex carbs provide vitamins, minerals, and fiber that are key to the health of everyone’s body; where most carbs should come from.
Today we have a guest chef. I was being nosey and taking pictures/notes the whole time. **Fair warning, this soup is spicy, but it’s everything you could want and more. You will not need that hot sauce in your bag, even though its swag.
On today’s menu: Jamaican Chicken Soup ☺️
3 Stalks of Celery
1 Sweet Potato
2 Stalks of Scallions
1 Habanero Pepper
1 Rotisserie Chicken (will not use all of this)
2 TBSP Butter
Maggi Soup Flavoring Packet ~ Pollo con Fideos (or Cock Soup mix)
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
- Fill your stock pot (soup pot) up ¾ the way with water.
- Place on stove and set flame a little over medium but not quite high.
- Begin by chopping up your celery & carrots and add to your pot of water.
- Next begin peeling your turnips and slicing them. Add to your pot of water
- Follow suit with your Onion (again you only need about ¼ maybe less). Peel and slice, then add to water.
- Finally, we want to take the chicken apart. Remove the wings and legs from the chicken. You should be left with the rest of the body. Add chicken to the pot.
- Add Black Pepper to taste (it’ll all start to smell good)
- At this point your pot should start to boil, cover and let boil for 30 – 45 minutes (we did 30 minutes).
- Once the 30 minutes are up, check on your soup. Remove lid and stir soup.
- Peel the yams and potato and slice into medium/big slices and add to pot.
- Add in the Habanero Pepper. Cover and let cook for another 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes are done, add in the following:
- Dashes of Thyme (to taste)
- Dashes of Seasoning Salt (to taste)
- Add Maggi Chicken Soup Flavoring Packet (or Cock Soup mix)
- Chicken Bouillon Cube
- Stir in and turn flame down to medium heat. Cover again and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, remove habanero pepper (unless you want your mouth to burn)
- Serve it up and enjoy the delicious flavors you’ve now created.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 1 – 1 ½ Cups (serves about 8 – 10)